If you want the newest baseball cards of the newest MLB draft picks, then you should probably pick up a box of 2017 Panini Stars & Stripes USA Baseball cards.
USA Baseball sets from Panini America are among your best bets for finding players taken in the MLB Draft — 16 of the 30 first-rounders last night were USA alums — and you’ll find No. 1 draft pick Royce Lewis inside this year’s boxes along with No. 2 pick Hunter Greene and many others.
Thanks to other past USA releases and Perfect Game products from Leaf Trading Cards, just five of this year’s first-rounders don’t appear on officially licensed cardboard from a major manufacturer. (One of those five has a collegiate team-issued card … so there’s something official for fans to chase.)
Buzz recapped the draft in real time last night on Twitter and here are those images and a bit more — keep reading for a rundown of basics on the entire first round.
1. Twins: SS Royce Lewis, JSerra Catholic HS (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.)
He appears on more than 200 cards and more than 90 of those are certified autographs. He’s in this year’s Stars & Stripes as well as USA cards from 2014 Elite Extra Edition, the 2014 and 2015 USA sets and in 2016 Elite Extra Edition. He’s also got 2016 Leaf Perfect Game cards.
2. Reds: RHP Hunter Greene, Notre Dame HS (Sherman Oaks, Calif.)
This Sports Illustrated cover star also has more than 200 cards and more than 100 of those are signed. His first autos came back in 2014 USA sets and he’s appeared in sets ever since there as well as in 2016 Perfect Game sets.
3. Padres: LHP MacKenzie Gore, Whiteville (N.C.) HS
He’s a bit tougher to land with more than 30 different autos — he only has auto cards — form Perfect Game releases in 2016.
4. Rays: 1B Brendan McKay, Louisville Cardinals
He’s got more than 100 cards in all and more than 60 autos with his cards appearing in USA sets since 2015.
5. Braves: RHP Kyle Wright, Vanderbilt Commodores
He’s got more than 30 autos among his more than 70 different cards in all with all coming since last year.
6. Athletics: OF Austin Beck, North Davidson HS (Lexington, N.C.)
The Moneyball guys are always off the radar — no cards for him.
7. Diamondbacks: 1B Pavin Smith, Virginia Cavaliers
Only team-issue cars for this guy, who was a big enough star that he’s got custom cards (unauthorized) on eBay.
8. Phillies: OF Adam Hasley, Virginia Cavaliers
You’ll have to reach back to 2013 to land his USA ink when he was in Elite Extra Edition and the USA Baseball set. He’s also got a Perfect Game appearance to up his auto count to more than 30 cards among his 50-plus cards in all.
9. Brewers: OF/2B Keston Hiura, UC Irvine Anteaters
Another USA guy from this year and last year who you can find in Elite Extra Edition and Stars & Stripes as well as in the small USA presence in 2017 Donruss.
10. Angels: OF Jordon Adell, Ballard HS (Louisville, Ky.)
He’s one of the few who doesn’t have USA or Perfect Game cards but you can find I’m on Bowman Under Armour All-American cards handed out at the prep showcase. Any signed versions of this will make their way into packs once his pro contracts (on-field and on cardboard) are signed. This appears to be it for now.
11. White Sox: 3B Jake Burger, Missouri State Bears
It’s a shame that he wasn’t signed by a Texas team for a Whataburger deal but collectors can feast on his cards from late last year and this year as a USA Baseball member. He’s got more than 80 cards and half of them are certified autos.
12. Pirates: RHP Shane Baz, Concordia Lutheran HS (Tomball, Texas)
He’s only been on cards since last year via both USA and Perfect Game but he’s got nearly 140 different cards. Half of those feature certified autographs.
13. Marlins: LHP Trevor Rogers, Carlsbad (N.M.) HS
Every card he appears on in the 2016 Leaf Metal Perfect Game release is autographed. Period.
14. Royals: 1B Nick Pratto, Huntington Beach (Calif.) HS
If he looks young on this card it’s because it’s from 2013 — and he’s been on USA cards off and on since. He’s not yet topped 100 total cards but he’ll get there soon.
15. Astros: RHP J.B. Bukauskas, North Carolina Tar Heels
He’s among the guys in this year’s USA releases along with those in 2016 Elite Extra Edition. He’s got fewer than 40 autos.
16. Yankees: RHP Clarke Schmidt, South Carolina Gamecocks
You’ll have to turn back the clock to 2013 Leaf Perfect Game Showcase to land his ink — just 10 different autos in that one.
17. Mariners: 1B Evan White, Kentucky Wildcats
This Wildcat was a USA Baseball player and he’s in sets from late last year and this year — nearly half of his 60 cards are inked.
18. Tigers: RHP Alex Faedo, Florida Gators
Same as No. 17, he’s got more than 30 autos from recent releases.
19. Giants: OF Heliot Ramos, Leadership Christian Academy (Puerto Rico)
If you land a box of 2016 Leaf Perfect Game, you’ll have a shot at his autos. Nearly all of his cards are found signed and in low volume thanks to parallels.
20. Mets: LHP David Peterson, Oregon Ducks
Another of the USA guys with cardboard ties back to 2013 (as a Perfect Game player), Peterson still hasn’t topped the 30-auto mark as his ink is in late 2016 and 2017 releases.
21. Orioles: LHP D.L. Hall, Valdosta (Ga.) HS
This 2016 Perfect Game player has more than 30 autographed cards from those products.
22. Blue Jays: SS Logan Warmoth, North Carolina Tar Heels
Another player where you need to go back to 2013 Perfect Game to land his only cards and autos.
23. Dodgers: OF Jeren Kendall, Vanderbilt Commodores
His dad was a baseball player — but he’s not Jason Kendall. That said, he’s almost got as many autographs as the past All-Star with 50 inked cards among his nearly 100 so far. (Jason Kendall had more than 70 in 15 years as a big-leaguer.)
24. Red Sox: RHP Tanner Houck, Missouri Tigers
His USA Baseball cards first arrived in 2015 and he’s been on the cardboard roster ever since with more than 50 autos and more than 100 different cards.
25. Nationals: LHP Seth Romero, none (kicked off Houston)
No team, no cards.
26. Rangers: OF Bubba Thompson, McGill-Toolen HS (Mobile, Ala.)
The last of the aspiring stars on hand at the draft last night to don a uniform has one of the lower autograph totals with roughly 20 cards in the 2016 Leaf Perfect Game release.
27. Cubs: LHP Brendon Little, State JC of Florida Manatees
No cards for him.
28. Blue Jays: RHP Nate Pearson, Central Florida JC Patriots
No cards for him.
29. Rangers: SS Chris Seise, West Orange (Fla.) HS
Another Perfect Gamer from 2016, he’s got almost 50 autos for Rangers fans to focus on.
30. Cubs: RHP Alex Lange, LSU Tigers
He’s got cardboard dating back to 2013 when he was a Perfect Game player and he’s had USA Baseball cards since late last year. His ink total already tops 40 cards.
Follow Buzz on Twitter @BlowoutBuzz or send email to BlowoutBuzz@blowoutcards.com.